Recommended reading and podcasts on housing, social justice, the environment and transportation
Books and articles we're reading now
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Traffic – Why We Drive the Way We Do by Tom Vanderbilt
- The High Cost of Free Parking by Donald Shoup
- Why Is American Mass Transit So Bad? It’s a Long Story by Jonathan English
Crash Course: If You Want to Get Away with Murder Buy a Car by Woodrow Phoenix
- The Affordable City: Strategies for Putting Housing Within Reach by Shane Phillips
- Millennials in Motion: Changing Travel Habits of Young Americans and the Implications for Public Policy – by the U.S. Public Interest Resource Group
Great podcasts that connect transportation and housing policy to social and environmental justice.
Learn about how housing policy effects affordability in this interview with Jerusalem Demsas who covers policy for a range of issues, such as housing and transportation at Vox.
Thomas Sage Pedersen is a Santa Cruz local business owner and activist who’s podcast features great interviews with local influencers and policy makers. The Speak for Change mission is to inspire and promote positive and lasting change in our local & global communities.
Could new technology and better information sharing solve our transportation challenges? Laura looks at existing models.